Achieving Sustainable Production of Milk, Volume 3 Dairy Herd Management and Welfare. ‘If you want to run a successful business, you have to look after your workers.’
Achieving Sustainable Production of Milk, Volume 3 Dairy Herd Management and Welfare
These words were spoken by the director of a conspicuously successful dairy enterprise while standing among his workers, handsome, healthy, robust Friesian cows at pasture in in the South West of England. The three volumes in this collection review the science that underpins the successful management of successful and sustainable dairy production.
Volume 1 reviews research on milk composition, genetics and breeding. Volume 2 discusses safety, quality and sustainability. Volume 3 reviews our scientific understanding underpinning the nutrition, health and welfare of all cattle in the dairy herd. In essence, Volumes 1 and 2 are about milk, Volume 3 is about cows.
- Freedom from thirst, hunger and malnutrition – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort – by providing a suitable environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease – by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and the company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress – by ensuring conditions that avoid mental suffering.
[expand title=” “]
|Size: 74.8 MB||Book Download Free|